The following text was written in 1970!
Munich's first self-contained residential estate (Location: Munich City Map)
The first post-war self-contained residential estate in Bavaria was constructed
in the mid-'fifties in the well-known Munich district of Bogenhausen: the Bogenhausen Park Town. At a cost of some DM 35 million (US $9,720,000) a new town district was built in 1955/56 with numerous three to six-storey buildings and high-rise houses of from nine to twelve and fifteen storeys with a total of about 2,000 dwelling units. Number of residents: 6,000; dwellings per hectare (2½ acres) of gross building land: 125; residents per hectare (2% acres) of gross building land: 382.
Franz Ruf, Architect BDA, Munich, was in charge of the building planning and design of the shopping centre. The design of the residential buildings was the joint responsibility of the Munich architects Hans Knapp-Schachleiter, Professor Johannes Ludwig, Franz Ruf, Matthä Schmölz, Hellmut von Werz. The school and the day nursery were designed by Professor Johannes Ludwig and Franz Ruf, Munich. The design of the grounds is by Garden Architect Alfred Reich, Munich.
The architectural effect has been successfully achieved by appropriately combining different types of buildings and laying out extensive planted areas. Thus an entirely new kind of residential building development has been produced in Bavaria's building history, ideally com- bining the proximity of the town and the proximity of nature.
The coherent planning enables the existing set back building arrangement divided up into individual plots and with an exact building line plan to be replaced by different kinds of buildings. In this way it is possible to build connected green areas and dwellings protected from the noise and traffic. The Bogenhausen Park Town is opened up by the crescent-shaped diagonal road between Stuntz Strasse and Gotthelf Strasse. The buildings have been positioned and grouped in such a way as to preserve the effect of distance in the whole development area, to create dwellings which are not affected by noise and to fuse the overall picture into an organic whole.
A main road runs through the entire development area. Park paths branch off from this and lead through gardens to the various residential buildings. Most of these residential buildings are set at an angle to the roads, and the living rooms and bedrooms thus open on to the lawns and gardens. The high-rise houses of the development area set modern trends in town planning and create a clear architectural division. Although public funds were not available, the wide variety of houses and flats were built at extremely favourable prices. Between the one-room apartments with a floor space of about 20 square metres (216 square feet) and the largest flats of about 80 square metres (864 square feet) there are some fifteen types of flats with a large number of alternatives. The tenant can choose between different kinds of kitchens: kitchens for cooking only, dining kitchens or kitchenettes.
The whole housing estate is equipped with central heating. A modern oil heating plant [today: public heat supply!] supplies all the dwellings with hot water by means of two circular systems. A central laundry is connected to this heating system. The taller buildings and the high-rise buildings have lifts and waste disposers. Two commercial centres, a large shopping centre with a variety of shops and a smaller group of shops provide the residents with their day-to-day requirements.
1955-1970: 15 Years of Housing Construction and Town Planning by the >Neue Heimat Bayern<
Published by: Neue Heimat Bayern Gemeinnützige Wohnungs- und Siedlungsgesellschaft mbH, Munich, 1970.
Translation: Geoffrey P. Burwell, Munich
|Copyright © 2001 W.Wittemer · Kritik? Anregungen? Ergänzungen? eMail: email@example.com|